As an electronics hobbyist and student, I often find myself in a situation where I have to interpret mechanical drawings, such as those describing the physical properties of connectors and encapsulations.

Occasionally there are symbols that I do not recognize, and since it is difficult to use Google ("wavy line in a circle in a box with two numbers on top"), it would be nice to have a place to ask trivial questions, usually one of these two:

  1. What does this symbol mean? How is it significant?
  2. I can not find or derive the distance between these two features - why is it not stated?

So, can I ask them here? I would seem like a perfect fit, except that it is hard to make such a question interesting or useful for others. "Here's a picture, what does this mean?" is not easy to search for, leading to the questions perhaps being inherently of a low quality.

  • $\begingroup$ An example of a similar question is: engineering.stackexchange.com/q/2764/33 That might help to see an example of a way to ask. (and the kind of information that may be asked for you to provide.) $\endgroup$
    – hazzey Mod
    Commented Jul 20, 2016 at 1:04

1 Answer 1


Your proposed questions are appropriate to ask on the main site.

Please provide an image of the symbol in question along with some amount of context about what you're working on.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ And if you can describe the symbol in words that will help others searching for an answer to discover your question and any associated answers. $\endgroup$
    – Air
    Commented Jul 11, 2016 at 15:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .